Screen printing is one of the most popular printing techniques today. go online, search for a company, submit your design and pick up your garment. But, not everything is as easy as it seems. With this mini-guide, you can give your designs the treatment they deserve. Check out the 4 things you need to know before customizing your t-shirt.
At R.O.S. we will guide you in the right direction when making decisions for your custom apparel project.
While we’ll help you through every step, it’s important that you know about screen printing so you know what to expect from your order.
Things You Need To Know Before Customizing Your T-Shirt
Know the basics: Fabric, design, and T-shirt color
While these are all factors to consider when customizing apparel, the decisions aren’t always clear. This is because the color of the T-shirt and ink and the type of fabric have attributes that will affect the final result.
To achieve extraordinary results with screen printing, one must know how to choose the ink, color, and fabric.
Choosing the right ink
Ink is a key element for spectacular results in screen printing. It affects both the feel and the finish of each design.
There are three main inks:
- Plastisol: The most common in t-shirt printing. Ideal for dark garments and perfect for detailed designs.
- Water-Based Ink: Provides a softer print on the T-shirt. Can only be printed on light-colored garments and natural fabrics such as cotton.
- Discharge Ink: Used for printing on dark garments. They work by removing the color from the shirt, leaving only the color of the ink.
Choose the right printing method for your design
There are two main screen printing techniques for T-shirts: direct-to-garment (DTG) and traditional screen printing.
- Traditional screen printing: Ideal for large orders. If you want to sell your custom t-shirts, this is your option.
- DTG: Prints digital designs on the garments. The final result is of lower quality compared to traditional screen printing.
Design File Format
The preferred file format for handling designs is vector EPS. It is important to save the file as a vector before sending it to print. This format allows you to scale the design without losing quality.
Now you know a little more about the screen printing technique. At R.O.S. we are specialists in achieving the highest quality prints. So, if you are looking for a company to get custom t-shirts, don’t hesitate to call us.